We have brought forward the development of our Environment Strategy as the UK Parliament declared an environment and climate emergency on 1 May 2019.
We are committed to reducing our own emissions and becoming carbon neutral by 2025.
We have set out our priority actions in our Environment Strategy 2020-24 (PDF, 683KB). We explain how we will respond to the global challenge of climate change and how the natural environment of Cheshire East will be enhanced and protected.
Our goals are:
- Cheshire East will be a Carbon Neutral Council by 2025
- Waste and pollution will be reduced
- Air quality will improve
- The availability and use of sustainable transport and active travel will increase
- New development will be sensitive and sustainable
- We will manage the environment to restore nature, conserve heritage and enhance the beauty of our landscapes
Your views on our draft Environment Strategy
We asked you for your input to our strategy in October and November 2019 and we received a high number of responses from a broad variety of participants. We have made wide-ranging changes to the Strategy to both acknowledge and respond to the consultation feedback – in particular the key challenges highlighted by respondents.
You can see the responses to the Environment Strategy consultation
Everything we do as a council should consider the implications on climate change and the natural environment. We will review this strategy regularly to make sure that all our policies, projects and service delivery contribute positively to its goals.