How can I get involved in Scrutiny?
The Council's Overview and Scrutiny Committees have work programmes that set out the work that each committee intends to undertake each year. The work programmes are set by each individual via a process that commences at the start of each calendar year and are subject to regular review. The committees take into consideration the content of the Forward Plan, corporate service plans and suggestions from Councillors and members of the public to identify topics for scrutiny.
Cheshire East’s Overview and Scrutiny Committees are inviting suggestions from people who live, work or study in Cheshire East along with local businesses, schools, colleges, and voluntary or community groups for topics of inquiry that could be considered as part of the scrutiny work programmes.
Any topics proposed in the work programmes must meet the following criteria:
- It must directly affect a group of people living or working within the Borough.
- It must relate to a service, event or issue in which the Council has a significant stake or over which the Council has an influence.
- It must have a clearly defined outcome.
The Council's Overview and Scrutiny Committees cannot accept topic suggestions that relate to the following matters:
- Any issue that one of the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Committees, sub-committees or working groups has considered during the last twelve months.
- Any issue that relates to an individual service complaint or a specific individual.
- Any issue that is incompatible with the principles of the Council’s equality policy.
- An issue before the courts.
- Any issue that relates to matters dealt with by another committee of the Council, unless the issue deals with policy or procedure.
We cannot guarantee that we will investigate every suggestion but we do want to hear your views and all comments and suggestions will be fully considered. If you would like to suggest an issue or topic for consideration, or have any queries or questions, please contact us:
By phone: 01270 686459
Overview and Scrutiny team
c/o Municipal Buildings
Observing scrutiny meetings
Meetings of the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Committees are open to the public to observe, unless considering confidential or exempt information. Copies of the agendas and minutes are available on this website, local libraries or from the Council’s offices.
Alternatively, for further details, please the Senior Scrutiny Officer on 01270 686459.
If you want to raise an individual service complaint, you should use the Council's complaints procedure.