Our Customer Charter
At Cheshire East Council, we are committed to providing high quality services that we know our customers expect. We also aim to deliver our services through a ‘right first time’ approach where we meet appropriate customer demands in a professional and timely way.
This charter sets out the standards of service you can expect from us. There may be times when we are unable to achieve these standards, for example if it is a very busy time of the year or if we are dealing with severe weather, but we will let you know if it is going to take us longer to deal with your request.
When you contact us
We take all of your enquiries, suggestions and complaints very seriously. We respect all our customers and promise to deal with you in a fair, objective, polite and helpful manner. We will respect your right to privacy and confidentiality, apologise if we get it wrong and put matters right as quickly as possible. In return, we ask you for your full cooperation and for you to be polite and respectful when dealing with council staff. We will not tolerate abuse, threats or harassment, on or off council premises.
When you call us
- We aim to answer calls as quickly as possible and to answer your query at the first point of contact wherever possible.
- We will usually answer the phone within 120 seconds. During very busy periods it may take longer but where possible we will tell you what position in the queue you are if you need to wait
- We will only pass you on to a colleague or another department if you agree.
- If we arrange for someone to call you back, we will give you a time within which you will receive that call.
- Outside of normal office hours, our Emergency Control Centre is available to deal with emergencies only.
When you email us
- If you email us with a request, we will normally respond within 5 working days of receipt. If this is not possible we will tell you why and give you a response date.
- If requested, we will respond in large print or Braille and we’ll always try to use plain English that is clear and easy to understand.
When you visit us
- If you visit our Customer Service Centre in Crewe or Macclesfield, we aim to deal with your enquiry promptly on arrival
- If you have made an appointment we will ensure that you are seen on time or kept informed of the reason for any delay and the estimated time that you will be seen.
- You can also visit a Customer Service Point in one of our libraries where you can find information about council services, access planning applications online, apply for concessionary travel passes, and provide information for Benefit claims or Blue Badge applications.
Let us know when things go wrong
We are committed to delivering high quality services but we recognise that occasionally things can go wrong. We welcome your feedback on our services so that we can put things right when they have gone wrong and learn from our mistakes. We also want you to let us know if a member of staff has impressed you, or if you have a suggestion on how we could improve our services.
You can provide feedback in a number of ways: