Coronavirus - COVID-19 and financial support

Support if you are self-isolating

If you have received a notification to self-isolate from NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September 2020 you may be eligible for a test and trace support payment.

Support with Council tax

The Government announced new grants to support economically vulnerable people and households as part of its response to COVID-19. This provides additional support to the council tax support scheme.

We recognise that COVID-19 is likely to cause fluctuations in household incomes and some individuals may struggle to meet council tax payments. 

This new grant will help those of working age on a low income who still have to pay a minimum of 25% of their council tax.

All working age customers receiving council tax support during 2020/21 will receive a further reduction of £150 in their annual council tax bill. Where the liability for 2020-21 is, following an award of council tax support, less than £150, the balance will be reduced to nil.

Those of pension age on a low income can already qualify for full council tax support, leaving nothing to pay.

More information is available on our Covid-19 Hardship fund page.

The adjustments will be made by the end of May 2020 and a revised council tax demand will be issued.  You do not have to apply for this additional payment.

Support for residents impacted by the coronavirus pandemic

Have you fallen behind with your payments? If you cannot afford your payments and want to request that your instalments are rearranged to make them more manageable, please complete our online form.

If you pay by direct debit and your instalment date is 1 April 2020 you'll need to contact your bank to cancel their direct debit.


All of our claim forms are online. Make sure that you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families this is universal credit from the DWP and this will include help with your rent. Discretionary payments can help if you are struggling to pay your rent and already in receipt of housing benefit or universal credit that includes a housing costs element.

Financial difficulties

We are looking to support residents who are experiencing financial difficulties who should check their eligibility for Benefits by visiting or contact the Council Tax team if you are unable to pay your bill.

The Cheshire East Emergency Assistance scheme is a safety net for people in crisis. This is a non-cash scheme, but we can help in other ways.

The Money Advice service has financial information for people affected by the response to Covid-19 pandemic.

Adults social care - direct payments

We have commissioned PeoplePlus to provide a direct payment support service.  This service provides universal, impartial, independent information and advice in how to manage your direct payment and associated responsibilities for example if you were to employ a personal assistant (PA). 

See our page on personal budgets and direct payments

or Government guidance on direct payments

Job Matching Service

Our Supported Employment team are job matching people who are coming out of work as a result of Covid-19 with local employers who are looking to recruit temporarily.  If you would like us to help you transfer into a new role fill in our form and we will be in touch to discuss your requirements.

Local employers looking to recruit

We can source potential employees to meet current recruitment demand. Email your requirements to

Small Grants Programme for community organisations

Cheshire Community Foundation is inviting applications for a Small Grants programme. Grants are typically up to £2000.

Charitable organisations delivering projects supporting disadvantaged and vulnerable people affected by the covid-19 outbreak are eligible to apply to this programme.

See the Cheshire Community Foundation website for details.

Cheshire East people helping people

We want to help local people to support one another by harnessing and supporting the fantastic work that is already being done in communities across the borough.

Leave us your details if you would like to offer support or need to access help.

Follow us on social media at and