Wilmslow parking review
Cheshire East Council has commissioned this review to gather evidence and understanding on the current parking situation in Wilmslow.
The aim is to develop a Parking Strategy that supports the needs of residents, visitors, businesses and people who work in Wilmslow. Taking this approach will ensure parking compliments other transport provision in the town.
The evidence used for the review included data on car park use and Penalty Charge Notices, analysis of correspondence to the Council, plus on-street parking surveys and questionnaires.
The main findings of the review are listed below:
- There is high demand for off-street parking. Utilisation of short-stay (under 2 hours) parking is 312% i.e. 3 or 4 tickets are sold per space, per day. Long-stay utilisation (4+ hours) is between 79% and 91%
- There is demand for parking – short and long stay - on local roads and residential streets
- A high number of parking violations occur at centrally-located ‘hotspots’ and close to off-street car parks in Wilmslow
A set of possible interventions has been identified. These are listed below:
- Convert some long-stay car parks/spaces into short-stay spaces
- Convert some short-stay spaces/car parks into long-stay parking
- Remove existing parking restrictions from residential areas, where they are unnecessary
- Introduce parking restrictions in residential areas, where they are needed
- Introduce parking restrictions on main roads to reduce parking obstructions
- Introducing charges for on-street parking spaces
- Develop Park and Stride facilities
- Develop Park and Ride facilities
- Introduce Residents Parking Permit schemes
- Increase / extend car park charges at existing car parks
- Build additional car-parking spaces at existing car parks
- Build additional car-parking spaces at a new car park
A mix of these options will be needed to address parking pressures in Wilmslow. Due to the high demand for parking, it may be preferable for measures to be phased so that no parking is removed overall. Also, measures may best be phased to avoid parking problems being displaced from one street to another.
At this stage, measures have been indicated at 47 locations across Wilmslow, with details provided;
This consultation seeks views on the Wilmslow Parking Review. Residents, businesses, commuters and visitors are invited to consider the options identified so far.
Let us know your views by replying to: Wilmslowparking@cheshireeast.gov.uk
This consultation runs for 6 weeks from Wednesday 30 January 2019.