The Petroleum Enforcing Authority

The Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) for Cheshire East is the Trading Standards Service of the Council.

On  1 October 2014, The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 replaced the requirement to licence your petrol storage with a requirement to hold a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

If you require a Petroleum Storage Certificate, your premises will be subject to an inspection to ensure that they are suitable for storing petrol.

If you have any doubt as to whether you require a Petroleum Storage Certificate please contact us.

It is possible that you will need a Petroleum Storage Certificate if you store over 30 litres of petrol at home or if you have a business and dispense petrol mechanically or electrically into motor vehicles.

Storage of petrol in cans or containers at Business Premises is now regulated by Environmental Health Officers or the Health and Safety Executive and not by Trading Standards.

Storage of petrol in cans or containers in domestic premises is still regulated by this service.

More information regarding the Storage of Petroleum.

Contact us

Business Support Team
Cheshire East Council

0300 123 5015

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?