In the Autumn Budget 2018 the Government announced that it would provide a Business Rates Retail Discount for retail properties that have a rateable value of below £51,000, for the financial years of 2019/20. Under the scheme the amount of discount for 2019/20 is one third off the daily chargeable amount.
State aid rules will apply to the retail discount in the normal way.
To be eligible for this discount, the retail premises must:
- be occupied
- have a rateable value of less than £51,000
- be wholly or mainly used as shops, including post offices, car showrooms, car hire, opticians, petrol stations, restaurants and cafes, including takeaways and drinking establishments
Premises being used for the following will not be eligible for the discount:
- financial services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers)
- other services (e.g. estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies)
- medical services (e.g. vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- professional services (e.g. solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers, tutors)
- post office sorting offices
- theatres and museums
- gyms and premises used for sporting activities
- properties that are not reasonably accessible to visiting members of the public
How to apply for discount
We will automatically apply the discount to properties that we think will qualify. If you feel your business fits the criteria for the discount and have not received it, you can apply for retail discount by filling in our online form.
You can only apply for retail discount up to the 30 September following the 1 April - 31 March period the application relates to. This means you must apply for any relief for the rating year ending 31 March 2020 before 30 September 2020.
Apply for Business Rates relief
State aid rules
Retail discount is granted under the Councils discretionary relief powers and discretionary rate relief counts as state aid. The law says you can't have more than €200,000 in state aid (including EU aid) over a rolling three year period. You must tell us if you've had any other state aid.
Translate this page with Google translate