Expanded retail discount 2021-22
At the Budget on 3 March 2021, the Chancellor announced that the Government would provide additional business rates support for eligible retail, hospitality, leisure businesses in England occupying a qualifying property.
As temporary measure for 2021/22 he announced that:
- The expanded retail discount (2020/21) will be extended for three months for eligible properties, at 100% relief, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, the expanded retail discount would apply at 66% relief for eligible properties in the scheme, with a cash cap of £2m for businesses that were required to close as at 5 January 2021, and up to £105,000 for business permitted to open at that date.
- For the expanded retail discount 2021/22 businesses may choose to opt out of support by providing billing authorities notification of their request to refuse support, per eligible hereditament.
To be eligible for this discount, the retail premises must:
- be occupied
- be wholly or mainly used as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinema, live music venues, hotels, guest and boarding premises, self catering accommodation, sport and leisure facilities, tourist attractions, community halls and clubhouses used by for assembly and leisure by visiting members of the public.
Premises being used for the following will not be eligible for the discount:
- financial services (for example banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, short-term loan providers)
- medical services (for example vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- professional services (for example solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers)
- post office sorting offices
- properties that are not reasonably accessible to visiting members of the public
The Government has provided guidance on the types of businesses that qualify for this discount.
How much relief will be available
Subject to the cash caps, the total amount of government-funded relief available for each property for 2021/22 under this scheme is:
- for chargeable days from 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021, 100% of the chargeable amount
- for chargeable days from 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, 66% of the chargeable amount subject to cash caps
How to apply for discount
We will automatically apply the discount to properties that we think will qualify. If you feel your business fits the criteria for the discount and have not received it, you can apply for retail discount by filling in our online form.
Apply for Business Rates relief
If we have applied the discount and you do not wish to receive it, you can choose to cancel your discount.