Expanded retail discount 2020-21
On 17 March 2020 the government announced that it would provide further support for businesses for 2020-21 in response to the coronavirus (COVID19). Under the scheme the amount of discount for 2020-21 will increase to 100% and is extended to apply to occupied retail, leisure and hospitality properties.There is no rateable value limit on the relief. Businesses that have closed temporarily due to the government’s advice on coronavirus (COVID19) will be treated as occupied for the purposes of this relief.
To be eligible for this discount, the retail premises must:
- be occupied
- be wholly or mainly used as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinema, live music venues, hotels, guest and boarding premises, self catering accommodation, sport and leisure facilities, tourist attractions, community halls and clubhouses used by for assembly and leisure by visiting members of the public.
Premises being used for the following will not be eligible for the discount:
- financial services (for example banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, short-term loan providers)
- medical services (for example vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- professional services (for example solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers)
- post office sorting offices
- properties that are not reasonably accessible to visiting members of the public
The Government has provided guidance on the types of businesses that qualify for this discount.
How to apply for discount
We will automatically apply the discount to properties that we think will qualify. If you feel your business fits the criteria for the discount and have not received it, you can apply for retail discount by filling in our online form.
Apply for Business Rates relief
If we have applied the discount and you do not wish to receive it, you can choose to cancel your discount.