Young People - Welfare Benefits

You may be eligible for the following benefits:

Income Support 

Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income. It’s for people who don't have to sign as unemployed. Whether you qualify or not and how much you get depends on your circumstances.

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is a weekly payment to help towards your living costs. It's mainly available for people who are over 25, but if you're aged 16 or over and have children or a disability that affects your ability to work or look for work, you may also be able to claim it.

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay your rent, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

Jobseekers Allowance 

Jobseeker's Allowance is a benefit available to most people over the age of 18 who are unemployed, not in education and looking for work. You could also be eligible if you have a job where you work less than 16 hours every week. If you're under 18, or if you're a student, it's unlikely you will be entitled to the allowance.

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is a weekly payment to help towards your living costs if you're 16 or over and have full responsibility for looking after a child (even if you're not the parent).

Carers Allowance

You may be able to claim Carer's Allowance if you are 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for the same relative, friend or neighbour who themselves claims certain other benefits.

Carers Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit which lets carers build up qualifying years for the basic State Pension and additional State Pension.

Employment Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance replaces Incapacity Benefit and Income Support that is paid because of an illness or disability for new claimants from 27 October 2008.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults to help with extra costs you may have because you are disabled. It is not based on your disability but the needs arising from it.

Personal Independence Payments

In April 2013 the Government introduced Personal Independence Payment  to replace Disability Living Allowance for eligible working age people aged 16 to 64.

Emergency Assistance Scheme

As part of the Government’s welfare reforms, certain elements of the Social Fund (Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans) were abolished in April 2013. Councils have developed their own new schemes, which allow greater flexibility in developing a provision to suitable local needs. Find out more about Emergency AssistanCE scheme.

Maternity Grant (if having a baby)

If you’re on a low income and getting certain benefits or tax credits, you could get a Sure Start Maternity Grant. This is a one-off payment to help towards the cost of maternity and baby items.

Contact us

Contact Benefits form

0300 123 5013

Benefits Section
Cheshire East Council
PO Box 622

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?