Information about welfare benefits and potential help for people on low incomes.

Income Support

Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income. It’s for people who don't have to sign as unemployed. Whether you qualify or not and how much you get depends on your circumstances.

Working Tax Credits

Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. You can claim whether you're an employee or a self-employed person. But unpaid work doesn't count for Working Tax Credit.

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay your rent, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

Council Tax Support

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay your Council Tax, you may be able to get Council Tax Support.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance is a benefit for people of working age who are out of work or work less than 16 hours a week on average. If you're eligible, it is paid while you're looking for work. You may be entitled to claim contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions. Jobcentre Plus can pay this for up to 182 days.

Pension Credit

These are for people aged 60 and over and can get extra money each week if you are on a low income or if you are severely disabled, care for someone who is severely disabled or have certain housing costs such as mortgage interest payments.

Winter Fuel Payment

A winter fuel payment from £100 to £300, depending on your circumstances is paid to most pensioner households at the end of the year. To qualify a person or their partner must have reached their 60th birthday in the qualifying week the previous September.

Stay Warm

To help keep you and your home warm in winter there is various help available.

Support for Mortgage Interest

If you are a homeowner and get certain income-related benefits, you may qualify for help towards your mortgage interest payments

Green Deal and Energy saving for your home

You may be able to get help for energy saving improvements to your home. These improvements can save your energy bills and heating costs.

Help with Health Costs

If you qualify for full help you receive a HC2 certificate, this lasts for 12 months or 5 years depending on your circumstances

Emergency Assistance Scheme

As part of the Government’s welfare reforms, certain elements of the Social Fund (Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans) were abolished in April 2013. Councils have developed their own new schemes, which allow greater flexibility in developing a provision to suitable local needs. Find out more about Emergency AssistanCE scheme