Caring for Someone

If you are a carer, you may be eligible for the following benefits

Carers Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Income Support

Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income. It’s for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed. Whether you qualify or not and how much you get depends on your circumstances.

Emergency Assistance Scheme

As part of the Government’s welfare reforms, certain elements of the Social Fund (Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans) were abolished in April 2013. Councils have developed their own new schemes, which allow greater flexibility in developing a provision to suitable local needs.

Find out more about Emergency AssistanCE scheme

Home Responsibilities Protection

Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP) was not a benefit but a scheme which between 6 April 1978 and 5 April 2010 helped protect your State Pension. It has been replaced with National Insurance credits for parents and carers.

Pension Credit

There are two different types of Pension Credit. Guarantee Credit is for those who have reached the minimum qualifying age. Savings Credit is for those aged 65 or over.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults to help with extra costs you may have because you are disabled. It is not based on your disability but the needs arising from it.

Personal Independence Payments

On 8 April 2013 the Government introduced a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible working age people aged 16 to 64.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a tax-free benefit you may get if you're aged 65 or over and need help with personal care because you're physically or mentally disabled.