Housing Benefit Payments and Council Tax Support

This page outlines how and when your Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support will be paid.


Once we have received a claim for Housing Benefit and/ or Council Tax Support with all the information and evidence it reasonably requires we must notify the persons affected about the decision on the claim.

How quickly will my Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support be paid?

We aim to process all claims within 14 days of all information being received. Therefore, please do not delay in bringing in any information to process your claim!

How will I be paid?

  • Any Council Tax Support will be credited to your Council Tax account and a revised bill will be sent to you.
  • Any Housing Benefit that is awarded will be paid via BACs.
  • Housing Benefit payments are normally made direct to the tenant.
  • We can make the payment to an appointee or executor.
  • We can make the payment to your landlord or their agent by BACs  which may help you to keep up to date with your rent. Please refer to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) Scheme.
  • We usually have to pay Housing Benefit straight to a landlord if there are 8 or more weeks rent arrears. Please refer to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) scheme.
  • You can also apply to have your benefit paid direct to your landlord using our online application form

When will I be paid?

Following the first payment we usually pay:

  • The tenant two weekly in arrears and
  • Landlords four weekly in arrears.

Bank accounts

We are committed to improving the service we provide and are pleased to be able to offer to pay Housing Benefit directly into your account. This is the safest way to pay you and you can use a bank, building society or other account provider.

  • You can find your account details on your cheque book, passbook or statements.
  • You will then be able to check the Housing Benefit payments on your account statement.
  • A Basic Bank Account Guide is available for information.

Where can I get help?

Please contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for further advice. They can help you to fill in forms or to write a letter.

Please contact Shelter which is the housing and homelessness charity or use their freephone number of 0808 8004444. They offer advice about money matters, homes and housing problems.