Benefits appeals and revisions

You can ask us to look again at any decision we have made about:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support (Council Tax Reduction)
  • Discretionary Housing Payment
  • Emergency Assistance
  • 2nd Adult Rebate

If the reason you think our decision is wrong is because your circumstances have changed, tell us about the change in circumstances rather then taking any of the actions listed on this page.

If you are a landlord, you can only challenge decisions about direct payments or recovery of an overpayment.

To challenge our decision, you must contact us within a calendar month of getting your decision letter or revised Council Tax bill.

You can take the following steps:

Ask for a written statement of reasons

To ask for a statement of reasons explaining our decision, contact the Benefits team.

Ask us to look at our decision again (revision)

In most circumstances you can ask us to look at our decision again. This is called a revision.

Where people have asked for a written statement, we increase the one month time limit by the amount of time it took us to send the statement.

If you ask for a revision, a different person will then look at your claim. We normally contact people within 10 working days to say whether our decision has changed and what any new decision is. If the revision means your award has gone up we will backdate the amount to the date of the original decision.  If we don’t change our decision, we will tell you why.

If we revise your claim it could mean that your award goes down. You can ask us to look again at the new decision if this happens.

Ask for benefits revision or make appeal form

Discretionary Housing Payment and Emergency Assistance second revisions

You can ask for a second revision if you are still unhappy with a decision about Discretionary Housing Payment(DHP) or Emergency Assistance. This review will be carried out by a panel of senior Cheshire East Council staff. We normally tell people the panel’s decision within 20 working days of receiving the request for a second revision. 

The panel’s decision is final. You can’t make a formal appeal,  because both DHP and Emergency Assistance are discretionary benefits. This means no-one has a right to get the support. If you think we have not followed our DHP policy (PDF, 549KB) or our Emergency Assistance policy correctly, you can take action through the Corporate Complaints procedure. For DHP s you can also use the judicial review process.

To ask for a second revision of DHP or Emergency Assistance, fill in the benefits revision or make appeal form

Appeal against a Housing Benefit decision

You can make a formal appeal against a Housing Benefit decision. When you make an appeal, a different person will look at your claim. If we don’t change the decision or we decide you should get less benefit, we will send your appeal to the independent Tribunals Service and send you a copy of the document (known as a response). The Tribunals Service will arrange a hearing. They will write to you to ask if you want to go to the hearing, but you don’t have to be there.

Where people have already asked for a written statement or a revision, we increase the one month time limit for challenging a decision by the amount of time it took us to send the statement or do the revision.

We normally make decisions about Housing Benefit appeals within a calendar month.

To start your appeal fill in the benefits revision or appeal form

Appeal against a Council Tax Support or 2nd Adult Rebate decision

Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) and 2nd Adult Rebate appeals must go to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS).

The tribunal can only hear appeals about the way we have applied our rules to your case. They cannot hear appeals about the rules themselves.

You must appeal within 2 months of getting our revision decision. The VTS will arrange a hearing and write to you to ask if you want to go.

How to ask for a benefits revision or make a Housing Benefit appeal

To ask for a benefits revision or make a Housing Benefit appeal, you need to fill in our online form. Requests for revisions can be made by someone on behalf of the claimant, but appeals must be sent in the name of the claimant.

Ask for benefits revision or make appeal

Before you start the form

You need to complete the form in one go – you can’t save it and go back later.

You will need to tell us which decision you disagree with, the date of the decision, and why you think the decision is wrong.

If it is more than a month since the decision, you will also need to tell us why you did not fill the form in earlier.

Supporting evidence

The benefits appeals and revisions form tells you what evidence and further information we will need from you. You can upload documents as you go through the form.  

You can also upload documents to our website separately – don’t delay sending the form because you don’t have documents ready. Use the further details box in the form to tell us when you will be providing the documents.

To see what types of document we accept as evidence and upload documents, see supporting evidence.

If you can’t upload your documents, you can bring them to one of our customer service centres or to a library, or post them to Benefits Section, Cheshire East Council, PO Box 622, Crewe, CW1 9JH.

Further information, help and support

For details of organisations who can give you advice about benefits, see Live Well – welfare benefits. For help with the online form, see help with online forms.