Debt management and money matters

Cheshire East has a dedicated money adviser within the Housing Options team who provides advice and assistance regarding any debts restricting access to housing or threatening any current housing situation.

There is expert advice to help tenants and homeowners who are having problems keeping up with mortgage or rent payments. Information available covers practical steps, from the point where a problem begins to:

  • Communicating with landlords or mortgage lenders
  • Preparing for court, and
  • What happens during and after a court hearing.

There is also information available for dealing with:

  • Rent arrears and Mortgage payments
  • Advice on benefits available including tax credits
  • Housing affordability
  • Debt management and resolution (especially when it begins to affect your housing)
  • Financial advice
  • Budgeting
  • Maximising income
  • Negotiation with creditors

The Money Advice Service website contains plenty of useful information and tools on how to boost your income and how to stop debts increasing. 

There is information available on mortgage arrears and payment difficulties from GOV.UK

Citizens Advice - Citizen's Advice can also help you deal with your debt problems. You can contact them by phone at 03444 111 444 or visit their Citizen's advice pages.

Shelter - Shelter's advice pages are for people who may be affected by rent or mortgage arrears or can be contacted by phone at 0808 800 4444 or via Twitter @shelter. Shelter also have a blog called Shelter Stories which seeks to offer a first-person, friendly and accessible approach to advice.

Step Change Debt Charity - Step Change Debt Charity advice pages offer free advice on debt problems. Freephone including on all mobiles 0800 138 1111.