Council Tax Support

Anyone who has to pay Council Tax in Cheshire East can apply for Council Tax Support.

Your age, income and circumstances can affect whether you qualify for help.

Those who have reached pensionable age will receive Council Tax Support but they are protected from the restrictions applied under Cheshire East’s local scheme.

Find out when you will be considered to be pensionable age at Gov.UK  

To claim Council Tax Support

Complete our online claim form

Council Tax Support is usually paid from the Monday following the date we receive your claim form. If you want it paid from an earlier date you need to put in writing that you want your claim to be backdated and give reasons why you failed to claim earlier. Backdating can only be allowed for up to 13 weeks from the date your request is received.

Council Tax payers of working age applying for Council Tax Support pay more towards their Council Tax than when they claimed Council Tax Benefit.

The Cheshire East Council Tax Support scheme remains unchanged in April 2018.

Cheshire East Council Tax Support Scheme:

  • the maximum award will be 75%, so everyone of working age pays at least 25%
  • to protect those in work we disregard over £5 of earnings each week
  • the upper capital limit is £6,000
  • those in properties in Bands C-H are restricted to a maximum based on a Band B property charge, in their area
  • when people start work there is 8 weeks support (rather than 4 weeks) Double extended payments
  • non-dependant deductions are £7 per week
  • there is a minimum award of £2.00 per week
  • Second Adult Rebate is only available for those of pensionable age
  • backdating limited to 13 weeks

Local Council Tax Support Full regulations 2018-19 (PDF, 1.1MB)

Remember – you must tell us if anything changes.

To pay your Council Tax over 12 monthly payments instead of 10 monthly payments. Contact the Council Tax office now for your new bill to be set up.

Visit our Council Tax Pages for more information about Council Tax, Discounts and Exemptions

Where can I get help?

  • Citizens Advice Bureau  They can advise you and help you to fill in forms or to write a letter.
  • Shelter freephone 0808 8004444. They offer advice about money matters, homes and housing problems.

Document accessibility