Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim

You can use this form to make a claim for either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, or both. If you delay completing this form you may lose benefit.

From 19 July 2017 part of Cheshire East will be receiving Full Service Universal Credit, this means we will no longer be able to pay Housing Benefit whilst your Universal Credit claim is completed.

Full Service will only affect residents in Cheshire East who attend Crewe Job Centre from 19 July 2017.  The rest of the Cheshire East area will move to Full Service Universal Credit by the end of 2018.

To check if you should be claiming Universal Credit please visit gov.uk/universal-credit

Please tell us your email address and landline number or mobile phone number. This will make it easier for us to contact you if we need more information to help us make a quicker decision about your claim. If we contact you via secure email we will use Egress.

The form will need to be completed in one go.  The amount of time you will need will depend on your circumstances.  Please be aware this could take some time.  You should have the right information available before starting the form.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online form

To fill in this form you will need:

For you and your partner

  • Date of Birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Employment details such as income, average hours worked and details of all employers
  • Unearned income, such as child benefit award, welfare benefits, tax credits, pensions or student loans/grants
  • Amount of any savings, capital, investments or property/land held individually or jointly
  • Amount of rent received for boarders or sub tenants

For children

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Care Costs

Other People

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Earned Income (before deductions) and hours they work
  • Unearned income, such as welfare benefits, tax credits, student loans/grants

Joint Tenants

  • Names of the people you share the property with


You can upload either photographs or scanned pictures of the evidence we will need to support your application on our evidence upload form

We can accept the following file types;

  • bmp - image file
  • gif - image file
  • jpeg, jpg, jpe - image file
  • png - image file
  • tiff, tif - image file
  • doc, docx - document file
  • pdf - document file

If you can do this it will mean we can process your application quickly.

If you do not provide the evidence when you submit your application it may delay your application.   

Do not delay completing the application if you do not have the evidence.  You can provide your evidence later.  

If you have difficulty uploading your evidence;

The form

If a question on the form has a * against it you will need to answer it before moving on.

Some questions have a ? against them which will give you help on how to answer that question.

Will you qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

If you would like to check if you would qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support and how much you may get, before completing the application form, please visit;

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online form