What if my circumstances change?

You should tell us straight away if your circumstances change so that we can amend your benefit.

You can do this via our online Benefit Change in Circumstances form We will contact you if we need any further information or supporting documents

What changes should I report?

You need to tell us about any of the following:

  • Changes in your household income and your capital
  • Changes to the amount of earnings you receive - including any changes to the amount of national minimum wage or living wage you receive
  • If someone joins or leaves your household as soon as this happens
  • If you or someone in your household goes into hospital or a nursing home 
  • If you are moving (do not rely on your landlord telling us, it is your responsibility)

You could lose Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you delay in telling us about any changes which mean you get more of these, such as your pay going down, the birth of a baby or someone in your household losing their job.

If you delay or fail to tell us about a change which would reduce your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you may be overpaid, and we can ask you to pay it back. You could even face prosecution.

Other agencies

Please do not rely on other agencies such as the JobCentre Plus or HM Revenue and Customs to notify us of any changes you have reported to them. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of any change in circumstances that may affect your claim. If in doubt contact us.

If you are receiving Pension Credits you should contact the Pension, Disability and Carer's Service if you need to report a change in your income or capital. The Pension Disability and Carers service will then work out if this change affects your entitlement or not.

Where can I get help?

Please contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for further advice. They can help you to fill in forms or to write a letter.

Please contact Shelter which is the housing and homelessness charity or use their freephone number of 0808 8004444. They offer advice about money matters, homes and housing problems.

Document accessibility