Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970

Section 1 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 imposes a duty on the Council to find out the number of people who require services and to publish information about available services. It also gives people the right to complain to the Secretary of State for Health if they feel their Local Authority has not fulfilled its duty towards them.

The help that the Local Authority is obliged to provide can cover many areas including:

  • practical help in the home, radio and/or television and help to use the local library;
  • help to take advantage of educational facilities (including transport);
  • adaptations or special equipment needs in the home to help with convenience or for safety;
  • holidays, meals and telephone (and special equipment to use it if needed).

Any provision of resources is dependent upon an assessment of need under the NHS & Community Care Act 1990. The provisions of the Act remain in addition to the NHS and Community Care Act 1990.

Contact Us

Stop Adult Abuse Logo

Rate this page
We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?