Home Maintenance and Gardening

Please click on the relevant link below to view the information

DIY - Do It Yourself

If you are confident with DIY and are happy to try most things yourself then you may be interested in some general information, advice and tips on how to carry out your own maintenance.

Information and advice services are freely available on the internet by searching via your internet search engine.

If you require a more personal "hands on" approach then there are classes and workshops available in your local area designed to give general training and advice on household maintenance, this will enable you to do the work at as little cost as possible. You may find some useful information and courses by visiting the DIY School.

You may also wish to check out major DIY stores such as Homebase or B&Q who often run small workshops for general household tasks such as tiling/flooring etc and have a range of information and how-to guides on their website.

Seeking Local Firms and Tradesmen

If you are not interested in undertaking household maintenance yourself or do not have the necessary skills or capacity to do so you may wish to find local companies or tradesmen who provide a variety of services in your home including plumbers, electricians, builders, joiners, painters and decorators, grounds maintenance and gardening services plus many more.

You can find local services to serve your needs in our Find a service section. From here you can look for services related to home maintenance or gardening services either by searching through the categories or entering the key words in the "By place or keyword" search facility.

If you can't find what you are looking for in either of the above links you may wish to look at The Link Magazines. This is a magazine that advertises local companies and services and is distributed free of charge to homes across Cheshire. Alternatively you may wish to look at national search engines such as Yell , Thomson Local and UpMyStreet which may give you a wider search if desired.

You can also search on the Cheshire East Council Online Business Directory.

Free Services or help with costs

All of the services mentioned so far will more than likely be private firms and therefore will carry a charge based on your level of requirements. If you need household maintenance or gardening services but do not have the ability to purchase private services or if you need help towards the costs you may be eligible for local grants, loans or depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to free services.

The Cheshire Trader Register is run by the Cheshire Trading Standards and supported by Age Concern in Cheshire and has been set up to benefit both local customers and businesses across the county, to give older and disabled customers access to reliable traders in their locality.

Home improvement agencies (HIAs) also known as Care & Repair or Staying put schemes are local not-for-profit organisations that can assist elderly people to improve, maintain and adapt their homes to suit their needs. They also provide advice and information to homeowners and private tenants and will assist you in checking what benefits and grants you may be entitled to. If you would like to find out more about the home improvement agencies in your area please visit the Home Improvement Services section on the Housing Care website for more information or see the Care & Repair section below.

There are also Gardening services featured on the Home improvement services section under Housing care gardening services and for a fuller list of both providers and advice services you may also wish to visit the Home maintenance section.

Care and Repair

Are you over 60? Does someone in your household have a disability? Do you need advice about home repairs or adapting your home to suit your needs? Are there small jobs around the home that you can no longer do?

Care & Repair is a service for older and disabled people, guiding them through the often complex or daunting process of carrying out repairs and adaptations in their own home. Care & Repair offer help with many types of work around the home, from fixing a dripping tap to building an extension.

There is a single Care & Repair service for Cheshire East, delivered by Cheshire East Council, bringing together the three Home Improvement Agency services that were delivered in Congleton, Crewe & Nantwich and Macclesfield.

Care and Repair can help by:

  • Offering technical advice and information about repairs and adaptations
  • Drawing up plans and specifications
  • Helping you to employ reputable contractors
  • Giving you tips on making your home warmer and finding available offers and grants
  • Providing you with information about other service to help you live independently in your own home
  • Helping you to find ways to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, and checking your entitlement to benefits
  • Assisting you with filling in forms for funding applications
  • Home Safety service  - handyperson service for small repairs, practical tasks and small adaptations around the home

How much does it cost?

Care & Repair aim to keep the charges as low as possible to make the service affordable.

All advice and information is free of charge. If you would like Care & Repair to draw up plans and specifications, obtain quotes or inspect the work, there is a small fee based on the value of work.

If you are using the Home Safety service, there is a small charge for the service, and you pay for any materials that are needed for the work.

If you can't afford to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, Care & Repair may be able to help you to find other ways to pay for the work.

Find out more Information about the associated Fees and charges for 2011-12 (PDF, 141kb)

How to contact:

Email: careandrepair@cheshireeast.gov.uk

Telephone: 0300 123 5500