English National Concessionary Bus Pass - issued free of charge
Cheshire East Council will offer the concessions listed below for the financial year 2016 / 2017 to permanent residents of the borough.
What your bus pass entitles you to:
Holders of an English National Concessionary Bus Pass issued by the Cheshire Consortium are entitled to the following concessions:
On journeys starting in Cheshire East:
- Monday – Friday before 9.30am – half fare
- Monday – Friday between 9.30am – last bus – free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday – free fare
These same concessions apply to some Flexible Transport services in Cheshire East and journeys on bus services going into Wales providing the journey starts or ends in Cheshire East or Cheshire West and Chester.
On journeys starting in Cheshire West & Chester, Halton or Warrington:
- Monday - Friday before 9.30am - full fare
- Monday - Friday between 9.30am to last bus - free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday - free fare
In the rest of England:
- Monday - Friday between 9.30 - 23.00 - free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday - free fare
If you are visiting Cheshire East and have an English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass issued by another English authority you will be entitled to the following concessions on local bus services:
- Monday - Friday between 0930 - Last Bus - Free Fare
- Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday - Free Fare
Full Fare applies at all other times on all services.
If you hold a disabled persons ENCTS pass on the grounds of visual impairment and have been issued with a florescent wallet then you are entitled to free travel on all local bus journeys starting or ending in Cheshire, Halton or Warrington regardless of time. Please note that the pass must be retained in the florescent wallet provided at all times in order to receive all the concessions to which you are entitled.
Unless advised otherwise locally, full adult fare applies at all other times.
The English National Concessionary Bus Pass issued by the Cheshire Consortium is not valid for use on:
- bus services on which the majority of seats can be reserved in advance of travel (such as coaches);
- bus services that are intended to run for a period of less than 6 consecutive weeks;
- bus services operated primarily for the purposes of tourism or because of the historical interest of the vehicle;
- bus substitution (rail replacement) services;
- bus services where the fare charged by the operator has a special amenity element.
- tours, excursions and sightseeing buses,
- express bus services such as National Express
- night buses.
- trains, trams, ferries, Metrolink or Underground.
Concessionary passes are available to (eligibility for bus passes)
Permanent residents of Cheshire East who:
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without speech
- have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms;
have a learning disability - a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
- are of eligible age - you can check when you'll become eligible by entering your sex and date of birth into the State Pension calculator.
How to apply
Applications should be made in person at one of the council offices listed on the concessionary travel homepage, postal and online applications are not permitted.
Older persons bus pass:
Older Persons Bus Pass applications are made electronically while you wait and the adviser will take a digital photo. Your bus pass will be valid for a maximum of 5 years and will be issued by post direct to your home address usually within 21 working days.
At the time of application you will be required to provide:
- one proof of residence i.e. Council Tax / Utility Bill, Bank Statement (must be no more than 3 months old), Barge Mooring Certificate, Driving Licence Photocard.
- one proof of age / identity i.e. Passport, driving licence photocard, birth certificate (If a married woman marriage certificate also required). Check your eligibility using the State Pension calculator
Disabled persons bus pass
Applications are made electronically while you wait and the adviser will take a digital photo. Your bus pass will be valid for a maximum of 5 years and will be issued by post direct to your home address usually within 21 working days.
- one proof of disability - acceptable forms of evidence are detailed on the evidence sheet (PDF, 289KB)
- one proof of residence i.e. Council Tax / utility bill, bank statement (must be no more than 3 months old), Barge Mooring Certificate, Driving Licence Photocard.
- one proof of age / identity i.e. Passport, driving licence photocard, birth certificate (If a married woman marriage certificate also required).
If you have moved home since your pass was issued you will need to update your details so we have the correct address to send your renewal letter and pass to.
Address changes can only be made in person at one of the offices listed on the Concessionary travel homepage with a Council Tax, utility bill etc as evidence of the change.
Replacement bus passes
If your bus pass has been lost or stolen a replacement can be issued. The charge for a replacement bus pass is £10.00, stolen passes will be replaced free of charge on production of a copy of the reported crime letter issued by the Police.
If your original pass is found after the issue of your replacement you must return the original pass to the Council for secure disposal.
Requests for replacement bus passes should be made in person at one of the council offices listed on the Concessionary travel homepage, postal applications are not permitted.
Please note fees and charges are correct at time of writing and may be subject to change.