Local and family history sites: national and Cheshire-specific sources
We think you will find the following links useful, but please note that Cheshire East Council accepts no responsibility for external sites or their contents.
S = Subscription service brought to you free of charge by Cheshire Libraries.
Archives and public records
Family and local history
- 1939 register from Find my Past S Available only in libraries
- Ancestry Library Edition S Available only in libraries The largest online collection of family history records in the UK
- BBC family history
- BMD Registers Gives access to various unpublished registers from 1534-1865; usually providing the only record of a particular event
- Britain from Above
- Burke's Peerage Historical guide to the UK titled and landed families
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Cyndi's List Useful starting point for the genealogist
- Directory of local history and allied societies UK-wide directory from Local History Online
- Family Search.org A service provided by the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints, including the International Genealogical Index (IGI) and 1881 Census for England and Wales. It is possible to search for Cheshire-specific records by collection, for example, school, workhouse, probate and parish records.
- Find my Past S Available only in libraries Over 1.6 billion family history records
- Free BMD Transcriptions of the civil registration indexes of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales from 1837-1983
- Free UK Genealogy
- Genuki UK & Ireland Genealogy sites
- Historic England
- Historical directories A searchable database of UK trade directories from the University of Leicester's Special Collections Online
- Isle of Man Genealogy
- NewsBank S an online service offering archive articles from local and national newspapers
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography S
- Scotland's People Provides access to statutory birth, marriage and death registers as well as old parish registers. Also provides a free search of wills and testaments, as well as coats of arms
- Society of Genealogists
- UK BMD Online transcriptions of UK births, marriages, deaths and censuses. Information given about other online resources
- UK Fairground Ancestors Covers travelling showmen, circus and other fairground travellers
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
- Cheshire & Warrington Trade Directories Six Cheshire and two Warrington trade directories available, including Cowdroy's (1789), Kelly's (1902,1906,1910), Morris and Co's (1864), Pigot's (1822-3) and Slater's (1883, 1895)
- Cheshire births, marriages and deaths online from 1837. Site incomplete
- Cheshire Collection on Find my Past S Available only in libraries
- Cheshire Local History Association
- Cheshire's Tithe Maps Online
- Cheshire Wills
- Family History Society of Cheshire
- Family Search.org It is possible to search for Cheshire-specific records by collection, including school, workhouse, probate and parish records.
- North Cheshire Family History Society
- Revealing Cheshire's Past Access to the County Sites and Monuments Record (SMR), the database of all the known archaeological sites and finds in Cheshire, Halton and Warrington.
- Silkmen Archives The official Macclesfield Town Football Club archives
Images and maps