M6 Salt Line Bridge – Structure maintenance works and Salt Line closure information
Notification of closure of part of the Salt Line relating to M6 bridge works
Highways England Notice and diversion routes - M6 Hassall Green and M6 Salt Line Bridge - Structure maintenance works.
Highways England is responsible for managing and maintaining the motorway and trunk road network in Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and South Lancashire.
The first structure is located over Alsager Road and the second structure crosses the Salt Line in Hassall Green.
Works are due to start on or shortly after 17 July 2017 for approximately eight months. This will take place between the hours of 08:00 and 17:30, Monday to Friday. Some night time or weekend working may be necessary to suit certain operation of works.
In order to facilitate and carry out the works safely, a 24 hour carriageway and footpath closure will be in place on Alsager Road directly under the M6 structure, throughout the duration of the works. Localised signed diversion routes will be in place and for more information please see the diversion maps below.
Animation of the diversion route
Please note that part of the Salt Line between Alsager Road and Roughwood Hollow will also be closed to the public during the dates and times stated above.
It is possible that these works may cause some disruption and noise, however using industry best practice, we will do everything to minimise any inconvenience.
Works are subject to weather conditions therefore dates may change at short notice.
Balfour Beatty Mott MacDonald (BBMM) will be delivering these works on Highways England’s behalf.
Salt Line Closure Information
Salt Line Closure Information map
- Please be aware that the M6 bridge works will result in restrictions to public access along the first section of the Salt Line.
- The section of the Salt Line that will be closed to all visitors runs from Alsager Road at the Salt Line car park to the other side of the M6 motorway bridge.
- Should you wish to use the car park from which to access other routes, it will remain open during normal times but will only be accessible from the Crewe and Alsager direction.
- The section of the Salt Line affected by the works will be closed between 08:00 hrs and 17:30 hrs Monday to Friday. Outside of these times it will be accessible to walkers and cyclists. Horses will not be permitted to use this section of the Salt Line for the duration of the works.
- The Salt Line will normally be open at weekends and bank holidays but may be closed at short notice to allow for weekend working that may be necessary to suit certain operation of works.
- The rest of the Salt Line will remain open as normal and can be accessed from Roughwood Hollow, Sandbach Road North, Alsager or via the path network on the Borrow Pit Meadows (no horses via this access). There are also Public Rights of Way intersecting the Salt Line at various points and these can also be used for access.
Please follow instructions given by contractors and follow all instructions given regarding safety and road closure procedures. Respect the workforce and consider their safety.
Any enquiries about the works and restrictions should be made to the 24hour Highways England Customer Care team by: