Home Safety service
Small repairs and practical tasks to help older people remain
living safely in their own home
The Home Safety service is part of
Care And Repair. Our team of
handypersons and reputable contractors provide "that little bit of
help" with jobs around the home for older and disabled people
living in their own homes. We help around 2,000 people every year
to stay safe in their own home.
People who have used our service in
the past have told us that the service is valuable to them
- They can't do the jobs themselves any
- They don't have family nearby who can
do the jobs for them
- Finding a contractor is difficult and
they don't know who to trust
- They can't afford the prices that
contractors often want to charge for small jobs
Ways in which the Home Safety service
- Home safety checks and giving you
tips on staying safe in your home
- Jobs to prevent slips and trips
-including fixing down carpets, rugs and trailing wires, and
treating slippery paths
- Small repairs around the home -
including plumbing and joinery repairs
- Fitting security measures - including
door chains, new door locks and window locks (except emergency lock
- Fitting grab rails and handrails
- Jobs to prevent the need for climbing
- including changing light bulbs, fitting curtain rails and
- Fitting 'key safes' so that carers
can visit you at home
- Moving furniture around the home to
be able to bring a bed downstairs
There are some jobs we can't do,
such as gas / electrical work, window cleaning, fencing, blocked
WCs / external drains, decorating, gardening and working at
height. We will be able to direct you to reliable local people or
services that can do these jobs for you.
What does the service cost?
It is a low cost service, costing £18
per visit. The maximum amount of time we normally allocate to a job
is 2 hours, so that we can help as many people as
possible. The handyperson will try to carry out as many jobs
as he can in that time, but we may need to make a referral for
You also pay for any materials that
are used - you can either provide them yourself, or we can provide
our materials. We don't make a profit on materials - you pay
exactly what we pay.
If it's a very small job such as
changing light bulbs, then we won't charge you for the visit.
We accept payment by cash or cheque,
which is payable on the day when the work is completed.
Is there a waiting list?
We try to prioritise works according
to how urgent they are and if someone is at risk of falling or
having an accident if its not done quickly.
Our target timescales are:
- Helping people to come home from
hospital, or to enable care to be provided at home - within 1
- Falls prevention and preparing for
winter - within 2 weeks
- Minor maintenance and general tasks -
within 4 weeks.
Contact Care And Repair
If you would like to use our service,
or to find out more information, please contact us.