Care and Repair - Improving homes, Improving lives
Help to adapt or repair your home
This page tells you about:
- Support with home repairs and adaptations if you are over 60 or have a disability
- Help with emergency heating and repairs
- Hotspots - our Warm Homes campaign to help people find the services they need to keep their homes warm
Support with home repairs and adaptations
Are you over 60? Or does someone in your household have a disability? Do you need advice about home repairs or adapting your home to suit your needs? Are there small jobs around the home that you can no longer do?
Care and Repair is a service for older, disabled and vulnerable people, guiding them through the often complex or daunting process of carrying out repairs and adaptations in their own home. We offer help with many types of work around the home, from fixing a dripping tap to building an extension.
Whether you can afford to pay for the work yourself, or you need help with the cost of repairs and adaptations, we can help.
Care and Repair can help by:
- Offering technical advice and information about repairs and adaptations
- Drawing up plans and specifications so contractors know exactly what is required
- Helping you to employ reputable contractors
- Helping you to find ways to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, and checking your entitlement to benefits
- Assisting you with filling in forms for funding applications
- Home Safety service - handyperson service for small repairs, practical tasks and small adaptations around the home for older and disabled people
- Providing you with information about other service to help you live independently in your own home
How much does it cost?
We aim to keep the charges as low as possible to make the service affordable. All advice and information is free of charge. If you would like us to draw up plans and specifications, obtain quotes or inspect the work we do charge a small fee based on the value of work. The current fee is 7.5%, which compares favourably with some architect and drawing services.
If you are using the Home Safety service, there is a small charge of £18 for the service, and you pay for any materials that are needed for the work.
If you can’t afford to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, we may be able to help you to find other ways to pay for the work. This may include a loan or grant from the Council.
To discuss how we can help you, and for a better idea of how much it might cost, please contact us.
Help with emergency heating and repairs
Throughout winter we have heaters available for short term loans if your heating breaks down, or you just can't get your house warm enough.
If you own your own home and need urgent help with heating repairs but can't afford it, Care & Repair may be able to access some financial help for you. We have access to some fast-track funds to help to put the problem right quickly, and also have information about loans for bigger and longer term repairs.
Contact us on 0300 123 5017 (select option 3) for more information or to borrow a heater, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for details of a local, reliable and reputable contractor to carry out heating repairs, visit the Buy with Confidence website.
Hotspots - Warm Homes campaign for people of all ages
- Do you need help with heating repairs?
- Would your house benefit from insulation?
- Do you need information and advice about energy efficiency?
- Could you be eligible for welfare benefits that will help you to afford your fuel bills?
- Would you like a free home safety assessment?
We are working with the Council's Benefits team, Energy Projects Plus and Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service to help people to make their homes warmer and safer, whether that is through home safety checks, heating repairs, extra insulation or financial help. Complete our online Hotspots referral form for help.