Care and Repair - Improving homes, Improving lives
Help to adapt or repair your home
This page tells you about:
- Support with home repairs and adaptations if you are over 60 or
have a disability
- Help with emergency heating and repairs
- Hotspots - our Warm Homes campaign to help people find the
services they need to keep their homes warm - including information
about free insulation
Support with home repairs and adaptations
Are you over 60? Or does someone in your household have a
disability? Do you need advice about home repairs or adapting your
home to suit your needs? Are there small jobs around the home that
you can no longer do?
Care and Repair is a service for older, disabled and vulnerable
people, guiding them through the often complex or daunting process
of carrying out repairs and adaptations in their own home. We offer
help with many types of work around the home, from fixing a
dripping tap to building an extension.
Care and Repair can help by:
- Offering technical advice and information about repairs and
- Drawing up plans and specifications
- Helping you to employ reputable contractors
- Giving you tips on making your home warmer and finding
available offers and grants - see our section on
'Hotspots' at the bottom of this page
- Providing you with information about other service to help you
live independently in your own home
- Helping you to find ways to pay for the home repairs and
adaptations, and checking your entitlement to benefits
- Assisting you with filling in forms for funding
- Home Safety service - handyperson
service for small repairs, practical tasks and small adaptations
around the home for older and disabled people
How much does it cost?
We aim to keep the charges as low as
possible to make the service affordable. All advice and information
is free of charge. If you would like us to draw up plans and
specifications, obtain quotes or inspect the work we do charge a
small fee based on the value of work.
If you are using the Home Safety service, there is a small charge for
the service, and you pay for any materials that are needed for the
If you can’t afford to pay for the
home repairs and adaptations, we may be able to help you to find
other ways to pay for the work. This may include a loan or grant from the Council.
To discuss how we can help you, and
for a better idea of how much it might cost, please contact us.
Help with emergency heating and repairs
Throughout winter we have heaters available for short term loans
if your heating breaks down, or you just can't get your house warm
If you own your own home and need urgent help with heating
repairs but can't afford it, Care & Repair may be able to
access some financial help for you. We have access to some
fast-track funds to help to put the problem right quickly, and also
have information about loans for bigger and longer term
Contact us on 0300 123 5017 (select option 3)
for more information or to borrow a heater, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for details of a local, reliable and
reputable contractor to carry out heating repairs, visit the
Hotspots - Warm Homes Healthy People campaign for people of all
- Do you need help with heating repairs?
- Would your house benefit from insulation?
- Do you need information and advice about energy
- Could you be eligible for welfare benefits that will help you
to afford your fuel bills?
- Would you like a free home safety assessment?
We are working with the Council's Benefits team, the Energy
Savings Trust and Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service to help people
to make their homes warmer and safer, whether that is through home
safety checks, heating repairs, extra insulation or financial help.
online Hotspots referral form for help.