What is Cheshire East Council doing about HS2?
We are lobbying for a new HS2 hub station at Crewe. This would give extra benefits and, if we are successful, it will bring even greater connectivity and support for existing businesses, inward investment and job creation.
The development of HS2 and the transformation of the existing station into a high speed hub offers the unique opportunity to transform not only Crewe but the entire North West region:
- An additional uplift of £1.8 billion to the UK economy by 2030 from development in Crewe, above and beyond the existing HS2 benefits to the UK;
- An investment of £880 million in the South Cheshire economy through development contracts;
- 20,000 additional jobs in and around central Crewe;
- 5,000 new homes directly linked to the station transformation;
- The potential for a massive increase in advanced engineering and manufacturing within the UK, building on both Crewe’s rail heritage and the existing massive skills base.
Meanwhile, from the line of route described, it is clear that this is the best solution for Cheshire East, in terms of its environmental and community impact with minimum impact on people’s properties, businesses and land. We will lobby to reduce this impact still further.
The Council will work hard to understand these impacts and argue in the strongest possible terms with HS2 and the Government to provide the highest quality mitigation and compensation in a timely manner for those affected by the development. Plans are already being put in place to identify the resources required to provide this service to local people, landowners and businesses and details of these will be announced in the near future.
Route map West Midlands to Manchester
For precise details of the HS2 project, it is advised that you visit The Department for Transport website. Detailed diagrams are available at the Department for Transport (DFT) Route map West Midlands to Manchester.
Contact HS2 Public Enquiries
You can also contact the HS2 Public Enquiries team on 020 7944 4908 or HS2enquiries@hs2.org.uk