Air Quality review and assessment
The UK Government published its strategic policy framework for air quality management in 1995 establishing national strategies and polices on air quality, which culminated in the production of the Environment Act 1995. Under Part IV of this Act the Secretary of State adopted a National Air Quality Strategy, designed to provide a framework for air quality management and control through specific air quality standards and objectives required to be achieved throughout the UK.
The Act requires Local authorities to undertake a regular review and assessment of the air quality within it's area, and assess levels of air pollution against the air quality objectives. Where levels are found to be in excess of these objectives, the authority must declare an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) and through the action plan set out the measures it intends to take to work towards achieving the objectives.
Cheshire East Council has completed all statutory reports up to and including the 2015 Updating and Screening Assessment.
From 2016 onwards Defra require councils to submit a single Annual Status report. The 2016 and 2017 Annual Status Reports have been submitted to Defra. The 2017 Annual Status Report has been approved by Defra and can be found below.
For all reports from 2012 to 2015 please use the monitoring data published on the Monitoring Data page of the website.
Annual status reports
- Cheshire East Progress Report 2014 (PDF, 7.78MB)
- Cheshire East Progress Report 2013 (Main Body) (PDF, 2.56MB)
- Cheshire East Progress Report 2011 (PDF, 4.8MB)
- Cheshire East Progress Report 2010 (Main Body) (PDF, 1.29MB)
- Cheshire East Progress Report 2010 (appendices) (PDF, 9.1MB)
- Congleton Borough first Annual Progress Report, 2005 (PDF, 820KB)
- Congleton Borough second Annual Progress Report, 2008 (PDF, 347KB)
- Crewe and Nantwich Borough first Annual Progress Report, 2005 (PDF, 93.8KB)
- Crewe and Nantwich Borough second Annual Progress Report, 2008 (PDF, 237KB)
- Macclesfield Borough first Annual Progress Report, 2005 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Macclesfield Borough second Annual Progress Report, 2008 (PDF, 1.93MB)
Updating and screening assessments
Cheshire East Borough
Former Crewe and Nantwich
Crewe and Nantwich
- Congleton Further Assessment Main Document 2006 (PDF, 828KB)
- Further Assessment - Mere AQMA (Consultation) 2009 (PDF, 6.4MB)
- Further Assessment - Mere AQMA (Consultation) Appendix - 2009 (PDF,4.5MB)
- Further Assessment - Mere AQMA (Addendum) - 2010 (PDF, 1.93MB)
- Further Assessment- Nantwich Road, Crewe AQMA 2011 (PDF,1.9MB )
- Further Assessment- Earle Street, Crewe AQMA 2011 (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Further Assessment- A6, Disley AQMA 2011(PDF, 1.27KB)
- Further Assessment- Manchester Road,Knutsford 2011(PDF,1.13MB)