Emergency kit bag
Prepare a ‘emergency kit bag- a collection of items needed in an emergency. It will need to be easily found by all family members, and should be checked every six months. A backpack or a small suitcase with wheels will be suitable. Consider including the following items:
- Copy of documents in a waterproof bag (insurance, passport, birth certificate, copies of important family photos, etc).
- Torch and spare batteries.
- Battery or wind-up radio and spare batteries.
- Bottled water.
- First Aid Kit.
- Medication and other essential personal items (be sure to change medications before they expire) keep copies of prescription slips.
- Personal hygiene items, such as soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste, towel, feminine hygiene products.
- Childcare supplies or other special care items.
- Emergency foil-type blankets.
- Extra set of house and car keys.
- Local A-Z map
If there is an emergency, information will probably be given on local TV and radio stations, listen for news, information and instructions on what to do. Remember, staying indoors, with doors and windows closed and air-conditioning turned off, will often be the safest place. If you are in doubt about what to do, remember:
'Go In, Stay In, Tune In'