Special Educational Needs in Early Years
If you are concerned that your child may have difficulties with
learning it is important to speak to someone as soon as possible –
parents are often the first to notice any difficulties.
If your child has not yet started school, you should speak to
your doctor, health visitor, or the Early
Years and Childcare Team.
The Child Development Service (CDS) provides a comprehensive
multi disciplinary assessment and intervention for children with
complex needs (0-5years) working alongside health pediatricians,
speech and language, occupational and physiotherapists, and other
health and educational professionals and under 5 providers.
involved following a request by a medical or educational
professional due to a child’s complexity of need which will require
multi agency involvement and assessment.
The Service offers families the opportunity to meet with
professionals and other parents in a user friendly environment at
either of the two centres, currently in Crewe and Macclesfield. All
involved will meet and discuss the child’s difficulties,
interventions employed and progress achieved with parent/carers and
other professionals as required.
arrange to visit the child in the home and in the early settings as
part of the assessment process. Information from the parent/carer
is a vital of this assessment process.
Any centre based intervention allows all those involved to
observe the child in a different context and understand how they
interact with other children and adults out of the home. The centre
sessions are for a limited period of time.
- Liaise with the medical professionals as required
- Provide information and advice as required by an individual
- Provide advice on communication and behaviour strategies
- Recommend a variety of appropriate activities and
- Assist in the development of routines and consistency of
- Model any intervention required by the child
- Offer training on a variety of topics relating to early year
- Provide an outreach service seeing the child in their home and
/ or local pre school setting
- Provide centre based sessions as appropriate
- Work alongside colleagues in early years settings to ensure the
child needs are known and understood and what intervention
strategies need to be employed
- Assist transition into a pre school or school setting