Cheshire East Budget
Cheshire East Council's Medium Term Financial Strategy
Cheshire East Council met on 27th February 2014 and agreed the
Medium Term Financial Strategy 2014/2017. This resulted in the
Borough’s ‘in great shape’ financially press release. The Report
illustrates how the Council intends to ensure that Cheshire East
remains the best place to live in the North West.
The Report includes two major appendices:
Appendix A: The
Leader's Report (PDF, 856KB) which sets out how the
Council will continue to deliver its desired Outcomes and put
residents and businesses first by:
- Targeting prevention and fostering services to safeguard
children and create better chances for a good start in life;
- Increasing choices in adult social care and working to enable
people to stay in their home for longer
- Reducing carbon emissions and investing in our open spaces
to improve the environment
- Improving services from buildings in the community, such as
leisure centres and libraries;
- Enabling our communities to become stronger.
Appendix B: The Appendix
B: The Budget Report (PDF, 1MB) which includes the
supporting financial assumptions.
The Council will fund its Outcomes 2014/2017 through:
- Freezing Council Tax payments for the fourth year in a
- Investing over £1bn in providing services to local people;
- Reducing net expenditure by £6.4m in 2014/2015;
- Maintaining reserves of £14m to protect vital services against
risk and manage cashflow during the transformation of
- Allocating £5.3m to earmarked reserves in 2014/2015 to invest
in the longer term sustainability of the Council;
- Allocating £15.7m to support vulnerable residents through
continuation of the local Council Tax Support Scheme.
The Budget Report illustrates that the Council’s transition to a
strategic commissioning model is well underway and a key aspect of
this approach is to explore a range of delivery models to determine
the best approach to deliver excellent and sustainable services to
residents, businesses and service users across Cheshire East.
Cllr Peter Raynes, the Portfolio Holder for Finance
introduced the Budget Report (PDF,
225KB) at the Council meeting.
The Report was agreed subject to one amendment to maintain
investment in Public Rights of Way.
The Medium Term Financial Strategy was considered by
Cabinet at the 4th February 2014 Meeting (PDF, 90KB)
and updated for any changes made as a result of the final
Government funding announcements and comments received as part of
the build up to Council.
Cheshire East Pre-Budget Report
This report provided stakeholders with the
opportunity to understand the strategy behind the 2014/2015 Budget
proposals. It contains an update on the Budget Setting process, as
well as providing a summary of proposed changes to the current
budget, and how this may affect services in the future.
The report identifies the various services
Cheshire East Council is responsible for delivering, how we are
doing, and what we are proposing to do in 2014/2015.
Proposals in this report are focused on
delivering the Council’s desired outcomes. Key themes from the
- Investing over £1bn in providing
services to local people
- Targeting prevention and fostering
services to safeguard children and create better chances for a good
start in life
- Increasing choices in adult social
care and working to enable people to stay in their home for
- Reducing carbon emissions and
investing in our open spaces to improve the environment
- Improving services from buildings in
the community, such as leisure centres and libraries
- Enabling our communities to become
A series of stakeholder events with the
Schools Forum, Trades Unions and Businesses took place in
January/February 2014, based on the Pre-Budget Report. This
report was distributed to Town and Parish Councils and the
Council’s partners in the voluntary, community and faith
Feedback was collected through firstname.lastname@example.org
up until 21 February 2014. All feedback was
presented to Cabinet and Council to inform the final decisions made
on delivering these proposals and the overall Budget.
Previous Years Cheshire East Council Budgets