Getting advice and reporting a scam
What can consumers do to tackle scams?
There are four things that consumers can do if they suspect they’re the target of a scam:
- CHECK with a trusted friend, relative or neighbour.
- GET advice from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service 03454 040506.
Get online consumer advice and information at: www.adviceguide.org.uk.
To report a problem to Trading Standards, contact the Citizens Advice consumer service. Trading Standards are responsible for protecting consumers and the community against rogue and unfair traders.
- REPORT scams and suspected scams to Action Fraud 0300 123 2040
Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and internet crime. (If debit cards, online banking or cheques are involved in the scam the consumer’s first step should be to contact their bank or credit card company.)
- TELL family, friends, neighbours so that they can avoid scams.
Other sources of help for consumers
- Get safe online – tips and resources for consumers to protect themselves against online scams.
- Cyber Aware – government website aimed at helping the public and small businesses to spot and avoid fraud, identify theft and other issues that affect online users.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has a list of firms which have been implicated in scams.
- The FCA website also has advice on Ten Top Tips for to help investors avoid the clutches of scammers.
Help, support and advice
Help for people who have been scammed
- Think Jessica – a charity protecting elderly and vulnerable people from scams which come through the postal system and by telephone.
- Victim Support – gives free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales. Call 0845 30 30 900.
- Age UK – has local branches around the UK providing help and support for older people.
- The Silver Line – is a free 24-hour dedicated helpline for older people across the UK (0800 470 80 90) which provides information and befriending for elderly people.
- Royal Voluntary Service offers a befriending service.
- If you are a business in Cheshire and want to report a scam please contact our Business Support Team:
- Email Business Advice or call 01270 685900.