Trading Standards Volunteers
Trading Standards is committed to enforcing the laws relating to age restricted sales. Alcohol, cigarettes, knives, fireworks and many other products carry age restrictions. It is against the law for a retailer to supply an age restricted product to a young person who has not reached the appropriate age. Throughout the year Trading Standards work alongside the police to tackle illegal sales of age restricted products to under-aged persons.
Trading Standards regularly need young volunteers aged between 14 and 15 to assist with age restricted products test purchasing.
Product Age Restriction
These are some of the products where age restrictions apply:
- Alcohol - 18 years of age
- Fireworks - 18 years of age
- Cigarette lighter refills - 18 years of age
- Tobacco products - 18 years of age
- Offensive Weapons – 18 years of age
Who can volunteer?
- We use volunteers aged between 14 and 15 and the person should not look older than the age restriction in question.
- There must be a minimum of 18 months between the age of a volunteer and the legal age restriction.
What can I get out of it?
You will have the opportunity to work alongside Trading Standards officers and the police. This may be of interest to you if you are considering a career in Trading Standards, the police, or other enforcement agency.
You can also record the experience in your Record of Achievement or Citizenship Portfolio.
No payment is made to the volunteers but appropriate refreshments are provided.
What is involved?
- The volunteers will be asked to enter shops and attempt to purchase age restricted products.
- Volunteers work under close supervision and in accordance with best practice procedures.
- The volunteers are asked to tell the truth at all times
- The volunteers will not work in areas where they are known or could be recognised.
- The young person is accompanied by at an officer at all times.
- The test purchasing exercises may take place in the evenings or weekends.
Parents / guardians of any volunteers will be asked to sign a parental consent form. We will not use any volunteers unless we have permission from their parents / guardian.
Interested and want to find out more?
If you think you may be interested in taking part in a test purchasing exercise please contact us on 01270 685900.
Also see the useful sites page for more Age Restricted Products information.