Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
What is a Hackney Carriage Vehicle?
- A Hackney Carriage can park on an authorised taxi rank
- It can be booked for hire or be hailed by prospective
passengers within the boundaries of Cheshire East Council
- It will display white plates on the front and rear of the
- It must be driven by a Cheshire East Council licensed driver at
all times, whether or not the vehicle is working
- It must have a fare meter (Fares are set by the
- Cheshire East is zoned. The zones correspond to the areas
of the three former authorities.
see zones on a map
What is the effect of Zoning?
The effect of zoning is to continue the licensing arrangements
for hackney carriages which the three former authorities had in
place before Cheshire East came into being on 1st
April 2009 including existing tariffs and byelaws. This
also includes some vehicle conditions.
It means that a hackney carriage licensed in one of the zones is
not allowed by law to ply for hire, including standing on ranks, in
either of the other zones.
Will zoning affect private hire vehicles and operators?
No. All private hire licences granted or renewed on or
after 1st April 2009 will be subject to conditions
common across the whole of the Cheshire East area.
Guidance For a Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
What you need
You can send your application to Licensing, Cheshire
East Council, Town Hall, Macclesfield SK10 1DX or hand in your
completed application in person at one of our Customer Service Centres. Please make
cheques payable to ‘Cheshire East Council’
Application Evaluation Process-Vehicle Testing
Wherever you decide to make your application your vehicle must
be tested at the relevant test centre which will be either:
- Cheshire East Council Depot, Pyms Lane, Crewe, Cheshire. CW1
- Macclesfield MOT Testing Station, Unit 6 Pool Street,
Macclesfield, SK11 7NX
When your vehicle has met the test criteria, the licence granted
will exempt the vehicle from requiring a standard MoT. You
can tax your vehicle at the Post Office by completing a V112
Declaration of exemption form, you must do this in person.
You must carry your vehicle licence with you in the vehicle that
it relates to as proof of MoT.
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle - £301 annual fee
- Transfer of licensed vehicle from one person to another - One
off fee of £25.63
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Test £78
Congleton – Zone 1 (Blue Triangle)
Crewe & Nantwich – Zone 2 (Red Triangle)
Macclesfield – Zone 3 (Gold Triangle)