Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
What is a hackney carriage vehicle?
- A hackney carriage can park on an authorised taxi rank
- It can be booked for hire or be hailed by prospective passengers within the boundaries of Cheshire East Council
- It will display white plates on the front and rear of the vehicle
- It must be driven by a Cheshire East Council licensed driver at all times, whether or not the vehicle is working
- It must have a fare meter (fares are set by the council)
- Cheshire East is zoned. The zones correspond to the areas of the three former authorities.
What is the effect of zoning?
The effect of zoning is to continue the licensing arrangements for hackney carriages which the three former authorities had in place before Cheshire East came into being on 1st April 2009 including existing tariffs and byelaws. This also includes some vehicle conditions.
It means that a hackney carriage licensed in one of the zones is not allowed by law to ply for hire, including standing on ranks, in either of the other zones.
Will zoning affect private hire vehicles and operators?
No. All private hire licences granted or renewed on or after 1st April 2009 will be subject to conditions common across the whole of the Cheshire East
Guidance for a hackney carriage vehicle licence application
What you need
You can submit your completed application and required documentation in person at one of our Customer Service Centres. Please make cheques payable to ‘Cheshire East Council’
Application evaluation process-vehicle testing
Wherever you decide to make your application your vehicle must be tested at the relevant test centre which will be either:
The testing centre will test your vehicle against a set of Hackney Carriage Vehicle Test Guidelines (PDF, 134KB) as set out by the Licensing Team.
When your vehicle has met the test criteria, the licence granted will exempt the vehicle from requiring a standard MoT. You can tax your vehicle at the Post Office by completing a V112 Declaration of exemption form, you must do this in person.
You must carry your vehicle licence with you in the vehicle that it relates to as proof of MoT.
- Hackney carriage vehicle - £301 annual fee
- Transfer of licensed vehicle from one person to another - one off fee of £25.63
- Hackney carriage vehicle test £78
Congleton – zone 1 (blue triangle)
Crewe & Nantwich – zone 2 (red triangle)
Macclesfield – zone 3 (gold triangle)
Vehicle licence plate transfer
If you have transferred a vehicle to a new proprietor please notify us using the Vehicle Licence Transfer Form (MS Word, 68KB), The person who the vehicle licence is being transferred to must complete a Hackney Carriage Vehicle application form, a valid certificate of insurance and the V5 document or a document as proof of sale of the vehicle and the fee of £25.63.
Vehicle licence plate surrender
If you wish to surrender a Vehicle Licence, you must complete the Surrender Cancellation Form (MS Word, 83KB) and return it with your paper licence, plates and stickers.
The surrender of Vehicle Licence Plates is free of charge.