Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence

What is a hackney carriage vehicle?

  • A hackney carriage can park on an authorised taxi rank
  • It can be booked for hire or be hailed by prospective passengers within the boundaries of Cheshire East Council
  • It will display white plates on the front and rear of the vehicle
  • It must be driven by a Cheshire East Council licensed driver at all times, whether or not the vehicle is working
  • It must have a fare meter (fares are set by the council)
  • Cheshire East is zoned. The zones correspond to the areas of the three former authorities.

What is the effect of zoning?

The effect of zoning is to continue the licensing arrangements for hackney carriages which the three former authorities had in place before Cheshire East came into being on 1st April 2009 including existing tariffs and byelaws. This also includes some vehicle conditions.

It means that a hackney carriage licensed in one of the zones is not allowed by law to ply for hire, including standing on ranks, in either of the other zones.

Will zoning affect private hire vehicles and operators?

No. All private hire licences granted or renewed on or after 1st April 2009 will be subject to conditions common across the whole of the Cheshire East

Guidance for a hackney carriage vehicle licence application

What you need

You can send your application to Licensing, Cheshire East Council, Town Hall, Macclesfield SK10 1DX or hand in your completed application in person at one of our Customer Service Centres. Please make cheques payable to ‘Cheshire East Council’

Application evaluation process-vehicle testing

Wherever you decide to make your application your vehicle must be tested at the relevant test centre which will be either:

  • Cheshire East Council Depot, Pyms Lane, Crewe, Cheshire. CW1 3PJ, or
  • Macclesfield MOT Testing Station, Unit 6 Pool Street, Macclesfield, SK11 7NX

The testing centre will test your vehicle against a set of Hackney Carriage Vehicle Test Guidelines (PDF, 134KB) as set out by the Licensing Team.

MoT exemption

When your vehicle has met the test criteria, the licence granted will exempt the vehicle from requiring a standard MoT. You can tax your vehicle at the Post Office by completing a V112 Declaration of exemption form, you must do this in person.

You must carry your vehicle licence with you in the vehicle that it relates to as proof of MoT.

Vehicle fees

  • Hackney carriage vehicle - £301 annual fee
  • Transfer of licensed vehicle from one person to another - one off fee of £25.63
  • Hackney carriage vehicle test £78

Tariff cards

Congleton – zone 1 (blue triangle)

Crewe & Nantwich – zone 2 (red triangle)

Macclesfield – zone 3 (gold triangle)

Vehicle licence plate transfer or cancellation

Should you wish to transfer a vehicle licence to another person, you must complete the Vehicle Licence Plate Transfer/Cancellation form (MS Word, 52KB).

The completed form should be given to the person you wish to transfer the vehicle licence to, with a copy to Cheshire East Council Licensing Department for information.

The person who the vehicle licence is being transferred to must complete a Hackney Carriage Vehicle application form and include with it the Vehicle Licence Plate Transfer/Cancellation form, completed by the person who is transferring the licence, a valid certificate of insurance and the V5 document or a document as proof of sale of the vehicle and the fee of £25.63.

The Vehicle Licence Plate Transfer/Cancellation form may also be completed if the Vehicle Licence is to be surrendered.

The surrender of Vehicle Licence Plates is free of charge.

Contact us

0300 123 5015

Postal address

Cheshire East Council
Municipal Buildings
Earle Street


Call in to our Customer Service Centres

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?