Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
As part of the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support application process, Cheshire East Council will collect personal data about you and your family.
We will use this data to process your claim and may check some of the information with other sources to ensure this data is correct.
These other sources will include;
- Employers to verify earnings
- Pension providers
- Other organisations, such as Government Departments in connection to a Welfare Benefit claim
We will only do this where the law specifically allows us to. The purpose of contacting these various departments is to;
- Prevent or detect crime, including fraud, and
- Protect public funds
We will not give out your data or discuss your claim for any other purposes unless you have provided permission for us to do so, OR the law allows us to.
Any data we obtain in connection with your claim will be protected by the Data Protection Act 1998 which means that if requested we will;
- Give you a description of it
- Tell you why we are holding it
- Tell you who it could be disclosed to, and
- Let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form
We will provide any data about you in the first instance by phone and where requested will provide copies in writing; however there may be a fee to pay. For further information regarding this fee please see our Frequently Asked Questions regarding data held by the Council.